World  | 

Trump: I've Called Off Tuesday Strike on Iran

But he says military is prepared to go forward with 'large scale assault' if deal is not reached
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted May 18, 2026 2:42 PM CDT
Trump Says He Has Called Off Planned Strike on Iran
President Trump gestures to reporters as he walks across the South Lawn of the White House, Friday, May 15, 2026.   (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

President Trump says he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because "serious negotiations" are underway. Trump's announcement in a Truth Social post Monday came as he had threatened the clock was ticking for Iran to strike a deal or fighting would renew after a fragile ceasefire, the AP reports. The president did not offer details about the planned attack, but he said he had instructed the US military "to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."

Trump had not previously disclosed that he was planning a strike for May 19, but over the weekend, he warned, "For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them." Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire struck in mid-April could end if Iran did not strike a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement. Sources tell Reuters that Iran sent a new peace proposal to the US via Pakistan on Monday, though the terms were largely unchanged from a proposal Trump previously rejected as "garbage." The sources say Iran is seeking an end to the war before nuclear issues are discussed in a later round of talks.

Trump said in his Truth Social post that he was calling off the planned strike at the request of allies in the Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off, the AP reports. Trump in recent days has also spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping about the Iran war.

Read These Next
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X
More News: Health | Tech | World | Entertainment | Politics